Open House at New York Weather Forecast Office
In Partnership with Brookhaven National Lab Summer Sundays
July 27, 2014 10:00 am – 3:30 pm
The National Weather Service’s (NWS) New York, N.Y. forecast office, located in Upton, N.Y., will host an open house. In partnership with Brookhaven National Lab Summer Sundays, the open house allows the public to tour the forecast operations floor, meet meteorologists and learn how forecasters track storms and issue warnings. Bring your whole family to this weekend of weather, discovery and excitement, and find out how you can become weather-ready.
This year’s theme is “Communicating with Your National Weather Service.”
- Learn about the different products and services provided by the National Weather Service and how meteorologists are using different ways to communicate weather information with the general public. Also learn how you can help the National Weather Service by providing them weather that occurs right in your own backyard. Presentations will be given at the Science Education Center, Building 438 at 11:00 am and 2:00 pm.
- In addition to personal tours of the NWS Office, outside the forecast office will be exhibits including an all hazards trailer, emergency response vehicle, experiments and games for children including "Weather Jeopardy" and a weather balloon launch.
- Visitors will have the opportunity to meet with NWS partners and customers, including the Suffolk County Office of Emergency Management (OEM), American Red Cross, U.S. Coast Guard, American Meteorological Society, Skywarn Amateur Radio Operators, S.U.N.Y. Stony Brook Meteorology Club and others.
- The Suffolk County OEM will bring an All Hazards Trailer. This trailer contains interactive workstations and is equipped to simulate weather hazards, by shaking, wind, noise; and yes...there are even weather warning clips on the large screen TV!
- Event Highlights -
- Tour of forecast operations and "ask a meteorologist"
- Booths, exhibits and handouts
- Presentations on Communications, including Social Media
- Weather balloon launch at 3:30 pm
The open house is part of Brookhaven National Laboratory Summer Sundays and will take place on July 27 from 10 am to 3:30 pm. The event is FREE and open to the public.
New York, NY Weather Forecast Office
175 Brookhaven Avenue
Upton, NY 11793
Gary Conte, NWS Meteorologist at firstname.lastname@example.org