National Weather Service Raleigh Tours
Every month the National Weather Service in Raleigh will open its doors for group and public tours for one day. On the selected day there will be six openings for 1.5 hour tours from 8:30 am to 5:30 pm. The maximum group size for each tour will be no more than 20 persons. The minimum age for tours is 5th grade. Be advised that if you are requesting a tour for a very small group you may be placed with another larger group in the same time slot. In case of inclement weather that would require the full attention of the staff, a rain date will be provided. Tours that cannot make the rain date will be given first preference during a future month. All tours are given by a meteorologist who will go through the basics of how the National Weather Service works and how forecasts are made. Participants will then be able to tour the operations area where current forecasting will be ongoing. Pictures with your group are permitted. Once given a tour slot, an email will be sent to the group leader with details on what to do once arriving on campus. Details regarding tour policies are listed below.
Upcoming NWS Tour Dates
2016 Tour Dates Have Been Announced!!!
Thursday January 21 (Alternate 1/22)
Monday February 22 (Alternate 2/23)
Thursday March 31 (Alternate 4/1)
Monday April 25 (Alternate 4/26)
Monday May 16 (Alternate 5/17)
Tuesday June 7 (Alternate 6/8)
Tour Request Instructions:
Read the NWS Raleigh Tour Policy
Fill Out the NWS Tour Request Form (below the map) or send an email to email@example.com with the valid information
Submit the NWS Tour Request Form
NWS Raleigh Tour Policies:
We will respond to the online requests either through e-mail or a telephone call.
- Tours are available for individuals or groups.
- For school or civic groups, tours will be provided to students and children who are at the middle school level and above (5th grade and above).
- Tours will no longer be provided to school groups or children at the elementary school level or younger (4th grade and below).
- During tours, our staff must maintain their duties and operational situational awareness; and, our staff often spend a considerable amount of time on the phone briefing partners. As such, tour groups must ensure that extraneous noise, conversation, and/or chatter be kept to an absolute minimum while touring our operations center. Because of this, under no circumstances will children under the age of 5th grade be admitted inside the NWS Raleigh operations area during office tours.
- Tours typically last between 60 and 80 minutes, but no longer than 90 minutes.
- Tours are conducted between 8:30 AM and 5:30 PM on the designated tour day.
- The maximum number of people allowed per tour group is 20.
- A school or civic group is only allowed to schedule one tour slot per month.
- Scheduled tour days may be cancelled due to unforeseen staff shortages or an usually heavy workload due to adverse weather. In this event, the alternate tour day will be used. Any groups not able to make the alternate day will be given priority in scheduling a tour during the designated tour day on the following month.
- All adults are required to carry proper identification (Driver's Liscence is fine) into the facility.
- Visitors are advised to park in the pay lot on Capability Drive directly across from Research building III. Parking is enforced 24 hours a day / 7 days a week. A map with the locations of the pay lot and the entrance to Research Building III is below.
NWS Raleigh Tour Request Form:
If you find the mail server is down or there is an error submitting you report, click here to send an email to the tour contact or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.