National Weather Service Raleigh Tours
Every month the National Weather Service in Raleigh will open its doors for group and public tours for one day. On the selected day there will be six openings for 1.5 hour tours from 8:30 am to 5:30 pm. The maximum group size for each tour will be no more than 20 persons. The minimum age for tours is 5th grade. Be advised that if you are requesting a tour for a very small group you may be placed with another larger group in the same time slot. In case of inclement weather that would require the full attention of the staff, a rain date will be provided. Tours that cannot make the rain date will be given first preference during a future month. All tours are given by a meteorologist who will go through the basics of how the National Weather Service works and how forecasts are made. Participants will then be able to tour the operations area where current forecasting will be ongoing. Pictures with your group are permitted. Once given a tour slot, an email will be sent to the group leader with details on what to do once arriving on campus. Details regarding tour policies are listed below.
Upcoming NWS Tour Dates
Fall Tour Dates Have Been Announced!!!
Thursday September 25 (Alternate 9/26)
Thursday October 16 (Alternate 10/17)
Thursday November 6 (Alternate 11/7)
Tuesday December 2 (Alternate 12/3)
Tour Request Instructions:
Read the NWS Raleigh Tour Policy
Fill Out the NWS Tour Request Form or send an email to email@example.com with the valid information
Submit the NWS Tour Request Form
NWS Raleigh Tour Policies:
We will respond to the online requests either through e-mail or a telephone call.
- Tours are available for individuals or groups.
- For school or civic groups, tours will be provided to students and children who are at the middle school level and above (5th grade and above).
- Tours will no longer be provided to school groups or children at the elementary school level or younger (4th grade and below).
- During tours, our staff must maintain their duties and operational situational awareness; and, our staff often spend a considerable amount of time on the phone briefing partners. As such, tour groups must ensure that extraneous noise, conversation, and/or chatter be kept to an absolute minimum while touring our operations center. Because of this, under no circumstances will children under the age of 5th grade be admitted inside the NWS Raleigh operations area during office tours.
- Tours typically last between 60 and 80 minutes, but no longer than 90 minutes.
- Tours are conducted between 8:30 AM and 5:30 PM on the designated tour day.
- The maximum number of people allowed per tour group is 20.
- A school or civic group is only allowed to schedule one tour slot per month.
- Temporary visitor's parking passes are required for parking in the lots adjacent to the NWS Raleigh. Tour group leaders or those providing transportation for those attending a tour at the NWS Raleigh will be required to obtain a visitor's parking pass from a visitor's booth on campus. The cost of these passes are $5, and only credit or debit cards are accepted at the visitor's booth. If you are in the 4:00 PM time slot, the visitors booth closes at 3:30 PM. Visitors arriving at 4:00 PM are still responsible for parking and are advised to park in one of the two paylots on campus, either the Partners Way Deck or the Poulton Deck. Parking is enforced until 5:00 PM. More information about obtaining a parking pass will be provided to tour groups prior to the tour date.
- Scheduled tour days may be cancelled due to unforeseen staff shortages or an usually heavy workload due to adverse weather. In this event, the alternate tour day will be used. Any groups not able to make the alternate day will be given priority in scheduling a tour during the designated tour day on the following month.
- All adults are required to carry proper identification into the facility.
NWS Raleigh Tour Request Form:
If you find the mail server is down or there is an error submitting you report, click here to send an email to the tour contact or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.