National Weather Service United States Department of Commerce

Some Frost tonight; Dry and More Mild Temperatures on the Way

Additional frost is likely tonight, especially for interior portions of Central Lower Michigan. Dry weather is expected for most of the next week. Temperatures will be warming a bit through the week, with highs mainly in the 70s. Read More >

Snow Amount Potential
Experimental -
 
Expected Snowfall - Official NWS Forecast
Point Range
Expected Snowfall - Official NWS Forecast
What's this?
High End Amount
1 in 10 Chance (10%) of Higher Snowfall

Maximum Potential Snow Accumulation
What's this?
Low End Amount
9 in 10 Chance (90%) of Higher Snowfall

Minimum Potential Snow Accumulation
What's this?

Low End Amount – 9 in 10 Chance (90%) of Higher Snowfall

 

This map depicts a reasonable lower-end snowfall amount for the time period shown on the graphic, based on many computer model simulations of possible snowfall totals. This lower amount is an unlikely scenario with a 9 in 10, or 90% chance that more snow will fall, and only a 1 in 10, or 10% chance that less snow will fall. This number can help serve as a lower-end scenario for planning purposes.

Expected Snowfall - Official NWS Forecast

 

This map is the official NWS snowfall forecast in inches during the time period shown on the graphic. This snowfall amount is determined by NWS forecasters to be the most likely outcome based on evaluation of data from computer models, satellite, radar, and other observations.

High End Amount – Only a 1 in 10 Chance (10%) of Higher Snowfall

 

This map depicts a reasonable upper-end snowfall amount for the time period shown on the graphic, based on many computer model simulations of possible snowfall totals. This higher amount is an unlikely scenario, with only a 1 in 10, or 10% chance that more snow will fall, and a 9 in 10, or 90% chance that less snow will fall. This number can help serve as an upper-end scenario for planning purposes.

 
The purpose of these experimental probabilistic snowfall products is to provide customers and partners a range of snowfall possibilities, in complement to existing NWS deterministic snowfall graphics, to better communicate forecast uncertainties during winter weather events. For more information visit this project's Product/Service Description Document, and please provide us your feedback here.
Percent Chance That Snow Amounts Will Be Greater Than...
Experimental -
 
What's this?

Percent Chance That Snow Amounts Will Be Greater Than

 

This series of maps shows the probability (that is, the likelihood) that snowfall will equal or exceed specific amounts during the time period shown on the graphic. These forecasts are based on many computer model simulations of possible snowfall totals.

Hover over thumbnails below to view larger image.
>=0.1"
>=0.1"
>=1"
>=1"
>=2"
>=2"
>=4"
>=4"
>=6"
>=6"
>=8"
>=8"
>=12"
>=12"
>=18"
>=18"

Snowfall Totals by Location
Experimental -
 
What's this?

Snowfall Totals by Location

 

These tables show the snowfall forecast for individual locations, and provide the same information as the graphics on this web page, just shown in a different way. All of these values are valid for the same time period as depicted on the graphics.

County:
 
Snow Amount Potential
Experimental -
 
Expected Snowfall - Official NWS Forecast
Point Range
Expected Snowfall - Official NWS Forecast
What's this?
High End Amount
1 in 10 Chance (10%) of Higher Snowfall

Maximum Potential Snow Accumulation
What's this?
Low End Amount
9 in 10 Chance (90%) of Higher Snowfall

Minimum Potential Snow Accumulation
What's this?

Low End Amount – 9 in 10 Chance (90%) of Higher Snowfall

 

This map depicts a reasonable lower-end snowfall amount for the time period shown on the graphic, based on many computer model simulations of possible snowfall totals. This lower amount is an unlikely scenario with a 9 in 10, or 90% chance that more snow will fall, and only a 1 in 10, or 10% chance that less snow will fall. This number can help serve as a lower-end scenario for planning purposes.

Expected Snowfall - Official NWS Forecast

 

This map is the official NWS snowfall forecast in inches during the time period shown on the graphic. This snowfall amount is determined by NWS forecasters to be the most likely outcome based on evaluation of data from computer models, satellite, radar, and other observations.

High End Amount – Only a 1 in 10 Chance (10%) of Higher Snowfall

 

This map depicts a reasonable upper-end snowfall amount for the time period shown on the graphic, based on many computer model simulations of possible snowfall totals. This higher amount is an unlikely scenario, with only a 1 in 10, or 10% chance that more snow will fall, and a 9 in 10, or 90% chance that less snow will fall. This number can help serve as an upper-end scenario for planning purposes.

 
The purpose of these experimental probabilistic snowfall products is to provide customers and partners a range of snowfall possibilities, in complement to existing NWS deterministic snowfall graphics, to better communicate forecast uncertainties during winter weather events. For more information visit this project's Product/Service Description Document, and please provide us your feedback here.
Percent Chance That Snow Amounts Will Be Greater Than...
Experimental -
 
What's this?

Percent Chance That Snow Amounts Will Be Greater Than

 

This series of maps shows the probability (that is, the likelihood) that snowfall will equal or exceed specific amounts during the time period shown on the graphic. These forecasts are based on many computer model simulations of possible snowfall totals.

Hover over thumbnails below to view larger image.
>=0.1"
>=0.1"
>=1"
>=1"
>=2"
>=2"
>=4"
>=4"
>=6"
>=6"
>=8"
>=8"
>=12"
>=12"
>=18"
>=18"
Ice Amount Potential
Experimental -
 
Expected Ice Accumulation - Official NWS Forecast
Point Range
Expected Ice Accumulation - Official NWS Forecast
What's this?
High End Amount
1 in 10 Chance (10%) of Higher Ice Accumulation

Maximum Potential Ice Accumulation
What's this?
Low End Amount
9 in 10 Chance (90%) of Higher Ice Accumulation

Minimum Potential Ice Accumulation
What's this?

Low End Amount – 9 in 10 Chance (90%) of Higher Ice Accumulation

 

This map depicts a reasonable lower-end ice accumulation amount for the time period shown on the graphic, based on many computer model simulations of possible ice accumulation totals. This lower amount is an unlikely scenario with a 9 in 10, or 90% chance that more ice will occur, and only a 1 in 10, or 10% chance that less ice will occur. This number can help serve as a lower-end scenario for planning purposes.

Expected Ice Accumulation - Official NWS Forecast

 

This map is the official NWS ice accumulation forecast in inches during the time period shown on the graphic. This ice accumulation amount is determined by NWS forecasters to be the most likely outcome based on evaluation of data from computer models, satellite, radar, and other observations.

High End Amount – Only a 1 in 10 Chance (10%) of Higher Ice Accumulation

 

This map depicts a reasonable upper-end ice accumulation for the time period shown on the graphic, based on many computer model simulations of possible ice accumulation totals. This higher amount is an unlikely scenario, with only a 1 in 10, or 10% chance that more ice will occur, and a 9 in 10, or 90% chance that less ice will occur. This number can help serve as an upper-end scenario for planning purposes.

Percent Chance That Ice Amounts Will Be Greater Than...
Experimental -
 
What's this?

Percent Chance That Ice Amounts Will Be Greater Than

 

This series of maps shows the probability (that is, the likelihood) that ice accumulations will equal or exceed specific amounts during the time period shown on the graphic. These forecasts are based on many computer model simulations of possible ice accumulation totals.

Hover over thumbnails below to view larger image.
>=0.001"
>=0.01"
>=0.10"
>=0.10"
>=0.25"
>=0.25"
>=0.50"
>=0.50"
>=1.00"
>=1.00"
Other Snow/Ice Information
Onset of Wintry Precipitation End Timing of Wintry Precipitation
Winter Precipitation Onset
Winter Precipitation End Time
What's this? What's this?
Winter Storm Severity Index
*** Experimental ***
NDFD Graphic Forecast Displays
Winter Storm  Severity Graphic
NDFD Graphical Forecast Viewer
What's this?
Storm Track Reported Snow/Ice Totals
Storm Total Ice Graphic
Latest snow report
What's this? What's this?

Precipitation Onset

Most likely time of winter precipitation onset (snow, sleet, freezing rain). Rain is not included here. This information is provided when we issue a Warning or Advisory for expected snow or ice accumulation; typically six to 24 hours in advance. Times are only given for places that are under a Warning or Advisory. They will be blank in areas outside Warnings or Advisories.

Precipitation End Time

Most likely time of winter precipitation ending (snow, sleet, freezing rain). Rain is not included here. This information is provided when we issue a Warning or Advisory for expected snow or ice accumulation; typically six to 24 hours in advance. Times are only given for places that are under a Warning or Advisory. They will be blank in areas outside Warnings or Advisories.

NDFD Graphic Forecast Displays

The NWS’s NDFD graphic products are derived from a prescribed set of data contained within the NDFD. These graphics are representations of the official NWS digital forecast. The graphics are created on national and regional scales and will follow a standardized format prescribed by the NWS to best meet the needs of its users

Low Tracks Graphic

The graphic depicts the forecast location of significant surface lows impacting the 48 contiguous United States in 12 hour increments out to 72 hours into the future.

The low position and track forecast by NCEP WPC meteorologist is in white. Each low position is accompanied by a lead time (Eastern Time). The circles around each low represents a 75% probability the observed low will be located with the circle. Note: The probability is derived using previous season's verification data. For reference, existing surface lows are depicted with a red marker without yellow circles.

Reported

As snow and/or ice reports come into the NWS (you can email reports to nws.grandrapids@noaa.gov or Tweet to @NWSGrandRapids), we will pass them on here. With the map linked here, and the supporting reports below it, you can keep tabs on how much has fallen.

 

Grand Rapids, MI Products
HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK FORECAST DISCUSSION SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
Long-Range Forecast
 

Days 4-7

Day 4 Winter Weather Outlook Day 5 Winter Weather Outlook
Day 4 Winter Weather Outlook Day 5 Winter Weather Outlook
 
Day 6 Winter Weather Outlook Day 7 Winter Weather Outlook
Day 6 Winter Weather Outlook Day 7 Winter Weather Outlook
 
Days 4-5 Forecast Precipitation Days 6-7 Forecast Precipitation
Days 4-5 Precip Days 6-7 Precip
 
 

Days 6-10

Temperature  Precipitation
6-10 day temperature 6-10 day precipitation
 
 

Days 8-14

TEMPERATURE  PRECIPITATION
8-14 day temperature 8-14 day precipitation
 
 

Week 3-4

TEMPERATURE

PRECIPITATION

Week 3-4 Temperature Week 3-4 precipitation