National Weather Service United States Department of Commerce

October 2020 Climate Summary

 

Temperatures through the month of October were 2 to 5 degrees warmer than normal. Precipitation through the month of October was around 1 to 4 inches above normal.

Below are the overview stats from October 2020 for our 10 climate sites.

 

Top 10 Records At Our 4 Main Climate Sites

Athens experienced its 7th warmest October on record.

Atlanta experienced its 8th warmest October on record.

Atlanta experienced its 3rd wettest October on record.

 

October 2020 Temperature Climate Statistics
Climate Site Average Temperature
Normal Temperature
DFN (Departure
From Normal)
67.3
63.0
+4.3
67.3
63.3
+4.0
70.3
66.5
+3.8
69.3
64.9
+4.4
65.6
60.6
+5.0
64.8
61.9
+2.9
65.5
62.5
+3.0
64.3
61.7
+2.6
65.8
61.4
+4.4
65.3
61.1
+4.2

 

October 2020 Temperature Climate Statistics
Climate Site Maximum Temperature Max T Date
Minimum Temperature
Min T Date
Athens
88
10/8
44
10/17
Atlanta
85
10/8
45
10/17
Columbus
89
10/7
47
10/3, 10/17
Macon
90
10/7, 10/8
45
10/3
Cartersville
85
10/8
37
10/17
Dekalb Peachtree Arpt
84
10/8
38
10/17*
Fulton Co Arpt
84
10/8
39
10/17
Gainesville
83
10/8
41
10/17
Peachtree City
85
10/8
41
10/17
Rome
86
10/8
37
10/17

*Indicates a daily record was set

 

October 2020 Precipitation Climate Statistics
Climate Site Total Precipitation
Normal Precipitation
DFN (Departure
From Normal)
3.45
3.55
-0.10
8.23
3.41
+4.82
4.51
2.58
+1.93
1.49
2.79
-1.30
4.10
3.40
+0.70
8.35
3.45
+4.90
8.99
3.61
+5.38
7.76
4.08
+3.68
4.70
3.41
+1.29
6.80
3.86
+2.94

 

October 2020 Precipitation Climate Statistics
Climate Site Maximum Daily Precip Max P Date
Athens
1.55
10/24
Atlanta
4.55
10/10*
Columbus
1.70
10/24
Macon
0.54
10/11
Cartersville
1.23
10/24*
Dekalb Peachtree Arpt
3.77
10/10*
Fulton Co Arpt
4.26
10/24*
Gainesville
5.51
10/10
Peachtree City
3.04
10/10
Rome
2.69
10/28*

*Indicates a daily record was set

 

Data prepared by NWS Peachtree City/Atlanta. 

Click the links below to explore the temperature and precipitation data across north and central Georgia for the month of October 2020.

Temperature Maps

Precipitation Maps 

 

Temperature Graphs

 

Precipitation Graphs

 

Temperature Maps

  • avgt_map.png
  • avgt_dfn_map.png
  • avgmaxt_map.png
  • avgmaxt_dfn_map.png
  • avgmint_map.png
  • avgmint_dfn_map.png

Back to the Top

 

Precipitation Maps 

  • precip_map.png
  • precip_dfn_map.png
  • precip_perc_map.png

Back to the Top

 

Temperature Graphs‚Äč

  • ahn_t.png
  • atl_t.png
  • csg_t.png
  • mcn_t.png
  • vpc_t.png
  • pdk_t.png
  • fty_t.png
  • gvl_t.png
  • ffc_t.png
  • rmg_t.png

Back to the Top

 

Precipitation Graphs

  • ahn_p.png
  • atl_p.png
  • csg_p.png
  • mcn_p.png
  • vpc_p.png
  • pdk_p.png
  • fty_p.png
  • gvl_p.png
  • ffc_p.png
  • rmg_p.png

Back to the Top

 

Temperature and precipitation records at our 4 main climate sites are located below.

 

October 2020 Climate Records
Date
Type
Location
Record
10/10
Precipitation
Atlanta
4.55 inches of precipitation fell on 10/10. This breaks the previous record of 3.42 inches, last set in 2018.
10/24
Precipitation
Atlanta
2.48 inches of precipitation fell on 10/24. This breaks the previous record of 1.72 inches, last set in 1918.

Larger events that occurred across north and central Georgia this past October can be found here.

Most notably, the remnants of Hurricane Delta impacted portions of north and central Georgia on October 10th - 11th. The remnants of Delta brought multiple weak tornadoes to the area, downing numerous trees and power lines and even damaging several buildings. In addition, pockets of heavy rain fell across the metro Atlanta area and further northeast leading to localized flooding and washed out roads. More information on the impacts across north and central Georgia due to Delta can be found here.

Later on in the month on October 29th, Tropical Storm Zeta crossed portions of west central and northern Georgia bringing sustained winds of 20 to 35 mph with widespread gusts of 40 to 60 mph, with some isolated gusts over 60 mph. These strong winds downed numerous trees and power lines across much of north and portions of central Georgia, leading to property damage from falling trees and widespread power outages. In addition, portions of northern Georgia received between 1.5 to 4 inches of rainfall leading to isolated issues with localized flooding. More information on the impacts across north and central Georgia due to Tropical Storm Zeta can be found here.

Here is a visual summary of all the warnings and local storm reports issued across portions of northern and central Georgia in October 2020. 

October 2020 Warnings and Local Storm Reports

 

 

The November climate outlook is below.

November Outlook

Based on the Climate Prediction Center's outlook for November, all of north and central Georgia has a 33% to 40% chance of above normal temperatures. For precipitation, portions of west Georgia have a 50% to 60% chance of below normal precipitation and the rest of Georgia has a 40% to 50% chance of below normal precipitation.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Data prepared by NWS Peachtree City/Atlanta.